Bathurst Historic Area
Cox’s road Dreaming – Australia’s First Inland European Road The name of our project draws on the Aboriginal Dreaming tradition. Our project not only tells the story of the building of Cox’s Road aided by two Darug men as part of Cox’s construction party, but also what were the outcomes for Europeans and Aboriginal people. The Country crossed by Cox’s Road included the lands of the Darug, Gundugurra and Wiradyuri peoples. This our contemporary Dreaming story.
BATHERS REGIONAL ART GALLERY (BRAG) Located on Bathurst’s historic Keppel Street, BRAG generates quality exhibitions of contemporary art, and the design of the space allows for three to four exhibitions at a time. BRAG also operates the sought-after Hill End Artists in Residence Program.
In Australia, however, the V8 Supercars Series have their own great race … The Bathurst 1000. Held annually at Mount Panorama Circuit which is located in the town of Bathurst in New South Wales, the track is oftentimes referred to simply as ‘The Mountain.’
BATHERS HERITAGE DRIVE
The track is a public road for the majority of the year and as such regular road rules apply (incl.2 way traffic, 60km/hr speed limit). It is 174 metres from the bottom of the circuit (Pit Straight) to the top of Skyline, “as the crow flies”. Race direction (during major events) is anti-clockwise. In a unique in its rural setting, there are over 40 private residences located around the circuit.
McPHILLAMY PARK, the southern end of the Panorama circuit is McPhillamy Park. Situated atop Mt Panorama it provides fine views over Bathurst and the surrounding farms. The lookout is best visited at sunrise and sunset.
Located within the centre of the Bathurst Central Business District, just behind the famous courthouse, Machattie Park was formally opened in December 1890. Machattie Park is situated on the site of the old Gaol c.1847, which was demolished in 1888 to make way for the park.
MACQUARIE RIVER BICENTENNIAL PARK with OHKUMA GARDEN, historic river park walk.
HISTORIC MILTON WALKING TOUR
One of only three original Australian restored Cobb & Co coaches in the Bathurst Visitor Information Centre and a fully restored 1909 Brush Car
Motorcycle racing began on the roads near Mount Panorama in 1911 and speedway racing ensued with the Old Vale Circuit in operation from 1931 to 1937. Early road racing in Bathurst was held on two known courses. One completed a circular circuit starting at Kelso, out through Palmers Oakey and back to Kelso. The other course, again starting at Kelso, travelled to Sunny Corner, Limekilns and back to Kelso. Due to conflict with the local police, the Auto Cycle Union of NSW (ACU) began looking for another course. With the help of the Bathurst City Council and the Abercrombie Shire Council, the ACU held its first annual classic road race meeting on the Vale Circuit on Easter Saturday, 4th April 1931.
An historic site with well-preserved remnants of a town with an impressive sandstone Court House, unoccupied buildings, gallery, cafe and accommodation managed by National Parks.
Discover life during the 1870s gold mining town which is classified as an historical site by National Parks and Wildlife Service. At its peak in the early 1870s it had a population estimated at 8,000 served by two newspapers, five banks, eight churches and twenty-eight pubs by 1945 the population was 700.
In the late 1940s Hill End was discovered by artists Russell Drysdale, who painted possibly his best-known work, The cricketers there, and Donald Friend, and it quickly became an artists’ colony. Other artists who worked there included Jean Belmlette. Today, the Hill End artist-in-residence program aims to ensure the continuity of this connection.
The town was established in 1913 to take advantage of local supplies of limestone, the largest cement works in the southern hemisphere. The New South Wales Cement Lime and Coal Company lifted the limestone from quarries by an enormous aerial ropeway. Originally named Candos, an acronym of the Board of NSW Cement, Lime and Coal Co Ltd. In 1915, the name Candos was considered too similar to Chandos in South Australia, and the name was changed to Kandos, the name was registered with the NSW Registrar General.
In 2016 had a population of over 1,200 people , changing from a working class town to now a quirky underground arts community.
Historic village with boutiques shops, classified by the National Trust. At its peak in the early 1870s it had a population estimated at 8,000 served by two newspapers, five banks, eight churches and twenty-eight pubs.
An interesting and unusual old gold mining town on the banks of the Turon River, in essence is a few streets with no formal construction, no curbing and guttering.